Success in promotional products sales begins with targeting the right prospects and clients. For my money, that means the people and industries with the best capacity to buy.
So which industries historically spend the most money on promotional products?
They’re listed below… but please take note: not every business within each of these industries will be a good prospect for you. There are good and bad prospects within each industry.
Your goal is to find the leaders. Those who understand and appreciate the value of promotional products… or at least those who are willing to become educated about that value.
For more details on effective prospecting, reference Top Secrets of Multi-Million Dollar Producers.
Top Secrets of Promotional Products Sales
1. Education: Schools and Seminars
2. Financial: Banks, S&Ls, Credit Unions, Stock Brokers
3. Healthcare: Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Clinics
4. Not-For-Profit Organizations
5. Construction: Building Trades, Building Supplies
6. Government: Public Offices, Agencies, Political Candidates
7. Trade, Professional Associations & Civic Clubs
8. Real Estate: Agents, Title Companies, Appraisers
9. Automotive: Manufacturers, Dealers, Parts Suppliers
10. Professional: Doctors, Lawyers, CPAs, Architects, etc
11. Manufacturers not otherwise specified
12. * Insurance: Companies, Agents, Adjusters
12. * Entertainment and Sporting Events
12. * Hospitality: Hotels & Motels
15. Media: Broadcast/Print Media, AD/PR Agencies
17. Restaurants & Bars
18. Computers & Software
19. * Telecommunications: Cellular Phones, Pagers, Internet
19. * Utilities: Telephone, Electric, Gas
21. Manufacturers: Pharmaceutical & Chemical
22. Retailers & Shopping Malls
24. Food Processors/Beverage Bottlers
25. Travel: Air, Cruise, Train, Bus Lines, Agencies
25. * Petroleum: Exploration, Refining, Distributors, Gas Stations
25. * Other
29. Apparel: Manufacturers and Retailers
30. Brewers/Distillers/Distributors of Alcoholic Beverages
31. Office Products & Supplies
This list ranks the top purchasers of promotional products according to the findings of a study by Louisiana State University and Glenrich Business Studies, commissioned by PPAI. Industries were ranked by distributors according to the volume spent on promotional products by each industry.
* Duplicate numbers indicate a tie for these categories.